Sunday, July 27, 2008

What is it like to move away....and come back?




I'm up tonight watching one of my favorite movies,"Gross Point Blank". I like this movie not only because I LOVE John Cusack but it is a film that was meant for people just like me - 40 something, mid-eighties graduate. The soundtrack is filled with tunes from groups like, Aha, The Violent Femmes, The Clash, The English Beat, David Bowie, Queen and The Jam. All groups I LOVE!




I think that people can also relate to this movie because people do move away from the cities where they went to high school and then return for things like their high school reunions just like Martin Blank does.

I wonder what that would be like? I have only been away from the town that I grew up in for short periods of time, a year at the most. The house that I currently live in is less than a mile from the house that I grew up in. The house that I grew up in is still occupied by my mother and sister. I left home at 18 to go to college but only 5 miles from my parent's house. I now teach at the high school that I went to, my father graduated from and where he taught as well.

Now, I'm not complaining. It just has me thinking. I have NO idea what it is to leave the place where you have spent your childhood or youth and then return after a long period of time. I am interested to know if anyone has had that experience and what it was like?

The ten year reunion is something I think that many people, including myself can relate to. The high school flame that has never gotten out of your system. The one love that you wonder about years later. What would your life be like had you stayed together? Hmmmm....I guess that is why I like this movie; couple all that with the odd profession Martin has chosen in the ten years after high school - it makes a good movie and stirs up funny high school feelings again.

6 comments:

gary rith said...

hey, a frog! a new layout!

Latin Lupe Lu said...

I get bored easily :) This frog was hangin' out at my mother-in-law's by the front door on this bamboo pole. Wonder what he thinks about?

I also finally got those videos where they should be - ugh.

steviewren said...

I've spent my entire life in the same city, on the same side of town and in the same neighborhood until I was in my mid 30s. Then we moved to the opposite side of town. It was weird because I realized quickly that I didn't know anyone here...didn't recognize the check out girl at the grocery, didn't pass someone from my church at the mall, didn't know a neighbor. It was strange to have that revelation.

Latin Lupe Lu said...

Steviewren - Thanks for sharing. I find that so interesting.

Kappa no He said...

I've heard of this show but have yet to see it. Here good sitcoms, dramas, TV anything is like gold. I just invested in all four seasons of The Wire. But Gross Point Blank sounds right up my alley. I am that 40-something. And I love Cusack, too!

Latin Lupe Lu said...

Kappa no he - I am sure you can buy this movie cheap on-line. GET IT! Cusack is sooo coool!